Nothing beats a rich yummy French Onion Soup this time of year. And this one is all done in the Crockpot so really - it cooks itself - no hassles!
Ingredients (serves 3-4 - it's pretty rich so you don't tend to need a big bowl!)
- 1 Litre low sodium beef broth
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Slices of French baguette, toasted
- Gruyere cheese grated
- Heat the Crockpot to high and melt the butter
- Add the onion slices, breaking up the rings as you go, and coat with the butter
- Add the broth, wine, vinegar, maple syrup and salt
- Cook on High for 6-8 hours or low for 8-10 hours, or until onions are soft and translucent
- To serve; (either serve into individual bowls or remove ceramic Crockpot from unit to place under grill) Add slices of toasted baguette to top of soup and add grated cheese. Place under a high grill and broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.