One of my items on my 2012 manifesto was to cook up 10 new crockpot meals. Here's the first recipe I tried my hand at. I would say an instant success! (though for just the two of us there's a whole lot of food - this is ideal for 4 people!) Because it was full of veggie goodness (oh, and cheese, but we won't mention that!) we just served it up on it's own - lovely!
|Crockpot Vegetarian Lasagna|
- Whole-wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
- 3 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup marinara (pasta) sauce (I used Newman’s brand)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 250g container ricotta
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 250g Crimini mushrooms chopped
- 1 zucchini quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & Pepper to season
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a bowl mix together the chopped tomatoes, the marinara sauce, the minced garlic and the fresh basil
- In another bowl mix together the eggs, ricotta, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, oregano and salt and pepper to season
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray
- Layer the tomato mixture first; followed by the cheese mixture and finally a layer of the lasagna sheets (break apart to ‘fit’ as neatly as possible to get a complete layer). Repeat a second time. Finish with a tomato layer.
- Cook on High for 3 hours or Low for 6 hours
- Before serving sprinkle 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese on top – place ceramic crockpot under a low broil so the mozzarella cheese can brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving